Saturday, September 12, 2009

Learning the Lingo

One of the reasons I want to get into Astronomy and sky-gazing is that the power of photography has done serious damage to my will. If you know me as a photographer, and you know the kinds of things I shoot, you know I like sharpness, and color, and contrast.

Every astrophotograph I see, that's well done, has pinpoint sharpness, beautiful color, and high contrast. It's what pulls us in.

Well, in an effort to begin learning what I need to for astrophotography, I have been researching. The first bit of research, as you probably know, is my quest to a telescope. I am currently fighting my child-like instinct to get the best I can afford, even when I don't know what I can do with it. The problem is that I get near the price range of affordability, and then find out how much more I actually need. And that serves as a wake up call to reduce expectations and start off small with a visual scope, and non-EQ mount.

But then I see the photographs again, and I'm back at square one.

Well, I have to figure it out soon, otherwise I'll never get started. But as I said, while the scope search goes on, I must learn all I can. I feel like I'm at the beginning of my photography learning phase again. Everything is exciting, and I'm curious about all aspects.

So when I Google things, and find threads and go off on trails, I don't expect to stay long on a site. Well, I found an exception. A great site, a blog on Blogger. The pictures will amaze you. The equipment amazed me. His attitude amazed me. The pictures... oh I said that already. They really are cool.

Here's the site: Andy's Astrophotography

No comments:

Post a Comment