Tuesday, April 20, 2010

NEAF 2010 at Rockland Community College



This last weekend was the North East Astronomy Forum, otherwise known as NEAF (pronounced neef). It was my first ever astronomy show and fair, and I gotta tell you, it was a complete geekfest. I've never had so much drool fall out of my gaping mouth before. The janitor was following me around with a mop.

By the way, if you don't recognize these two fellas above, they're the stars of the Discovery Channel show, Meteor Men. I don't much follow the show as meteor hunting doesn't really appeal to me, but hey, they're celebrities, so I figure they gotta rate something, right?

So, anyway, in my early days as a computer hardware geek I used to go to PC Expo here in New York at the Javitz Center. The next big event after my computer tinkering days was PhotoEast for photographers, again at Javitz. Each year, these shows get less and less exciting, and so I've been less enthused about going to anything like that anymore. But NEAF was a new venue, a new adventure, and certainly a new problem: they sell stuff at NEAF for the duration of the two days, and many vendors drop their prices considerably in order to have you spend money.

Well, I couldn't resist. I did spend some money. In my next post I'll tell you what I bought, and also report on some of the neat equipment I looked into at NEAF. Until then, enjoy this photo of one of the largest and most expensive telescopes I've ever laid my eyes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment